Bernina Cardigan Pattern by Madeleine Windsor.
6-12 (12-18, 18-24, 24-36) months
This adorable sweater isn't only delightfully fast and easy to knit, but makes a charming, cosy and comfortable cardigan for your little one to wear.
Let Madeleine tell you about her gorgeous pattern in her own words:
"Bernina is a mountain in the Alps on the border between Switzerland and Italy.
Bernina is a cute, cozy and practical cardigan for a baby or toddler with a playful cable design. It is worked from the bottom up and at the underarm, the sleeves, which have been knit separately (in the round), are knit on and the top is shaped using a saddle-shoulder method, for which full instructions are given. The button band is then picked up from the front edges to complete the garment, and the only seams to close are a few stitches at the underarms! The sizes are designed to give around 5 cm/ 2” of positive ease around the chest, both for comfort and growing space. If in doubt you can measure the child’s chest and then choose your size accordingly."
Read more about what the designer has to say about
her gorgeous creation!
We also have a kit waiting for you to knit this charming cardigan.
- The PDF file will be sent to you via email within 24 hours of your purchase.
- If you prefer the printed copy, check the option and the ten page pattern will be sent to you in a clear sheet protector.
- Your copy of Bernina Baby Jacket pattern also includes a Ravelry coupon ( that will allow you to download a complimentary copy to your Ravelry library).
- Please note that all pattern sales are final and non-refundable.
FINISHED CHEST MEASUREMENTS
The sizes are designed to give around 5 cm/ 2” of positive ease around the chest, both for comfort and growing space. If in doubt you can measure the child’s chest and then choose your size accordingly.
- 6-12 (12-18, 18-24, 24-36) months
- 56 (60, 66, 72) cm
- 22 (23¾, 26, 28¼)”
- Needles: US 2½ (3.0 mm) circular needles: For sleeves –circulars long enough for magic loop, OR double pointed needles (DPNs). for the body – a circular of 80 cm would be enough up until the sleeves are added, at which point a 100 cm or 120 cm is advised otherwise it is too tight to work the sts (the extra cable length can be used to pull out “loops” akin to magic loop to relieve the tension). Adjust needle size if necessary to obtain the correct gauge
* Option 1: 2 (2, 2, 3) skeins of Les Belles Bouclettes Amelia 238 m / 260 yards in 100 g / 3.5 oz (60% mohair, 40% merino). This corresponds to 380 (420, 500, 510) yards. Shown in Mint green in 6-12 month size
- Yarn: Both yarns used in the pattern are sport weight/light DK weight yarns.
*Option 2: 2 (3, 3, 4) skeins of Les Belles Bouclettes Pauline 165 m / 180 yards in 100 g / 3.5 oz (60% mohair, 20% merino, 20% nylon). This corresponds to 350 (390, 450, 560) yards. Shown in White (natural colour) in 12-18 month size and in Pink in 24-36 month size.
- Cable needle
- Stitch holders or waste yarn
- 12 stitch markers of colour/type A, 4 stitch markers of colour/type B, 2 further stitch markers (for beg of rnd)
- Tapestry needle
- Buttons 6 (7, 7, 7)
- Needle and thread for attaching buttons
- 22 stitches and 27 rows = 4 inches in stocking stitch (after wet blocking)
- 350 - 600 yards (320 - 549 m)
The pattern is charted and written out.
|Type of craft
||2(2,2,3) skeins of our sport weight Amelia yarn (60% Mohair - 40% Merino) OR 2 (3, 3, 4) skeins of our DK Pauline yarn (60% Mohair - 20% Merino - 20% Nylon)
||350 - 600 yards (320 - 549 m)
|Recommended needle size
||3 mm / US 2.5 circular needles
|| 6-12 (12-18, 18-24, 24-36) months
||Baby Clothes, Vest
A charming, cosy and comfortable cardigan for your little one to wear!!6-12 (12-18, 18-24, 24-36) mo..
Tags: Bernina Baby Jacket pattern,